If you are studying in the United States on an F-1 student visa, you must follow specific rules and regulations to maintain your visa status. The responsibility for remaining in status at all times is yours alone. It is not the school’s responsibility, and it is not the responsibility of your International Student Advisor to keep you in status.
To maintain student status at UCLA Extension:
- Keep your passport and I-20 valid at all times.
- Report to the ALC upon arrival in the U.S. and complete ALC Biodata forms.
- Maintain full-time enrollment and make satisfactory progress toward completing your program.
- Meet all Pre-Master’s Preparation grade and attendance requirements: Maintain a grade of at least B or Pass, depending on the class, and keep your attendance above 90% in each course taken.
- Avoid being dismissed from your program. If you are dismissed and do not enroll in another program, you will be “out of status” and lose your F-1 visa, and you may have to leave the U.S.
- Follow Student Conduct Policies: Avoid disciplinary action – including dismissal from the program – by respecting other students, instructors, and staff; behaving appropriately in and outside the classroom; and maintaining academic integrity (no cheating, copying or plagiarizing the work of others).
- Notify your International Student Advisor before you travel outside of the U.S.
- Follow regulations before returning to your home country:
- Report to the ALC and the International Student Office (ISO) before leaving your program and the U.S.. Avoid problems regarding transfers to other schools/programs and/or problems returning to the U.S.
- Do not remain in the U.S.for more than 60 days unless you plan to enroll in a new school, new program, or change your visa status.
If you fail to comply, you may lose your student status, be declared unlawfully present, be required to leave immediately, and be barred from entering the U.S. for a period up to 10 years.
- Accept no off-campus employment or internships without U.S. government permission.
Contact your International Student Advisor whenever you have questions.
International Student Office
10995 Le Conte Avenue, Room 118
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Monday through Friday
- Phone Inquiries: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Appointments: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Walk-in Hours: 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.