The application process consists of the following steps. Please review the checklist to make sure you are familiar with the process. You should have all the necessary documents on hand and ready to submit before you begin.
For questions regarding the application documents, please contact our Enrollment team: email@example.com.
Application and Enrollment Steps:
- Pay the Application Fee: Go online to UCLA Extension website and enter the application fee Project ID into the Quick Enroll tab at the top right-hand corner of the website. Pay the $300 nonrefundable application fee for the Pre-Master’s Preparation. Your student ID number will be listed on the Enrollment Confirmation that you will receive via email after you have paid; you must have the student ID number to complete the application.
- Fill out a Pre-Master’s Preparation Application Form: The form contains instructions and important information. Please type or print clearly in blue or black ink. Include your Student ID # on it.
- Gather Your Supporting Documents: Obtain PDF copies of the documents listed below:
- Unofficial copy in English of your undergraduate, university transcripts, showing all completed coursework with a Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. If you attended more than one university, you must submit all transcripts.
- Obtain Financial Certification using the Verification of Bank Funds or Sponsor Statement (page 4 of the Application Form). Fill out these sections on the application form itself or attach separate letters. Make sure the information is in English and dated within the last 60 days. If you are applying far in advance of the Pre-Master’s Preparation start date, an updated Financial Certification may be required to process the I-20 form.
- Copy Your Passport: Make a readable copy of your passport page clearly showing your name, date of birth, passport expiration date, and photograph. If your spouse (husband or wife) and/or children will come with you on an F-2 visa, make a clear copy of your spouse’s and/or children’s passport page(s).
- Obtain English Scores: Copy of official TOEFL iBT and IELTS score. A TOEL iBT and IELTS score between 69-90 or 6.0-7.0 is required for Pre-Master’s Preparation. A TOEFL iBT score of 75 or above, or IELTS score of 6.5 or above will satisfy the English proficiency requirement. A TOEFL iBT score of 69-74 or IELTS score of 6.0 may require a Skype interview to determine English proficiency.
- Optional: Your résumé or curriculum vitae (C.V.), if available
- Submitting Documents: Submit all requested documents as PDF files to UCLA Extension Cashier’s Office. Emailing your application is recommended. Original copies of most of your application materials are not required. However, a fully translated copy of your transcript with a Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required. We strongly suggest you use your school or a reputable service to ensure you get a good translation with a reliable GPA.
Alternatively, you can mail the documents to:
10995 Le Conte Avenue, Room 139
Main Cashier’s Office
Los Angeles, CA 90024, U.S.A.
Application processing takes approximately 10 business days, not including weekends and holidays. Applying by email ensures that your application is received promptly.
After Submitting the Application:
- Wait for the Admissions Decision: This will take approximately 10 working days, not including weekends and holidays, after your completed application has been submitted.
- Obtain Your Visa: The acceptance email will be followed by a formal acceptance letter and the I-20 form that is needed to obtain an F-1 student visa. Take these to the American consulate or embassy in your home country to get your student visa.
- Pay Your Program and Student Services Fees: You are officially enrolled once you have paid your Program and Student Services fees. The Program and Student Services fees must be paid by the deadline listed in the Important Dates section.
- First Day of Pre-Master’s Preparation: On the first day of program, bring the following with you:
- Pre-Master’s Preparation acceptance letter
- A copy of your I-20 form with the U.S. port of entry stamp
- Your local address in Los Angeles