UCLA Extension

After Pre-Master’s Preparation

After finishing the Pre-Master’s Preparation, you can:

  • Remain in the United States for up to 60 days. After 3 quarters of study at the American Language Center (including the Pre-Master’s Preparation), a student would qualify for a vacation quarter. If a student is transferring to a new school, he or she has 60 days to make that transfer.
  • Take an additional ALC program. You must submit a new application to ALC and enroll in the next session that is starting. You cannot take a break between sessions. Check your end date to find out if you need a new I-20.
  • Transfer to a UCLA Extension Certificate Program. You must submit an application to the ISO to receive a new I-20.
  • Transfer to another school. You will need to make an appointment with an ISO Advisor. You must know the school to which you plan to transfer and have proof of acceptance before you meet with the advisor.
  • Leave the U.S. You will need to make an appointment with an ISO Advisor for an exit interview before you leave. If your I-20 is not closed, you may have difficulty in the future when you apply for a new visa or try to enter the U.S.

 Transfer Process – After ALC Program Completion

  • Deadline: To keep your F-1 status, you must finish the transfer process within 60 days of completing your ALC program.
  • Transfer Process: Well before the 60-day deadline, take the transfer forms or letter of acceptance from your new school to an International Student Office (ISO) advisor, who will verify your F-1 status and transfer your SEVIS record to the new school.
  • New I-20 Form: Your new school will issue a new I-20.
  • Program Start: You must begin your new program as soon as classes start at your new school.