UCLA Extension

Campus Employment

resources_static_Royce_Shot1_UNEX_ALC2941International students on F-1 visas must have sufficient financial resources to cover program costs. You cannot rely on employment to meet your expenses.

U.S. law prohibits you from working without permission. Failure to comply could result in loss of your student status.

However, on-campus employment is permitted with the following limitations:

  • Up to 20 hours per week if you are a full-time student
  • 40 hours per week if you are working during a vacation quarter. You are eligible for a vacation quarter after 3 consecutive quarters of full-time study.

Possible part-time UCLA campus student jobs include work in:

  • Student stores
  • Restaurants and coffee shops
  • Academic departments as an assistant
  • UCLA Extension administrative and program departments – if you are a native English speaker or have TOEFL or IELTS scores of or above 100 (iBT) or 7.0 (IELTS)

For on-campus job opportunities, ask:

  • Your International Student Office (ISO) counselor
  • Your academic advisor