U.S. law prohibits you from working without permission. Failure to comply could result in loss of your student status.
However, on-campus employment is permitted with the following limitations:
- Up to 20 hours per week if you are a full-time student
- 40 hours per week if you are working during a vacation quarter. You are eligible for a vacation quarter after 3 consecutive quarters of full-time study.
Possible part-time UCLA campus student jobs include work in:
- Student stores
- Restaurants and coffee shops
- Academic departments as an assistant
- UCLA Extension administrative and program departments – if you are a native English speaker or have TOEFL or IELTS scores of or above 100 (iBT) or 7.0 (IELTS)
For on-campus job opportunities, ask:
- Your International Student Office (ISO) counselor
- Your academic advisor