Admission to Pre-Master’s Preparation is based on:
- Copy of official TOEFL iBT and IELTS score. A TOEFL iBT and IELTS score between 69-90 or 6.0-7.0 is required for Pre-Master’s Preparation. A TOEFL iBT score of 75 or above, or IELTS score of 6.5 or above will satisfy the English proficiency requirement. A TOEFL iBT score of 69-74 or IELTS score of 6.0 may require a Skype interview to determine English proficiency.
Specialties with higher requirements:
|Type of graduate program||TOEFL iBT||IELTS|
|Master of Science or Humanities (Language, Literature, Linguistics, History, etc.)||75 or above||6.0 or above|
|Master of Laws (LL.M.) or Business Administration (M.B.A.) or Fine Arts (M.F.A.) in Film and TV||85 or above||7.0|
|Medical school or a Master’s or PhD in Nursing||85 or above||7.0|
- Unofficial copy in English of your university transcripts, showing all completed coursework and a Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. If you attended more than one university, you must submit all transcripts.
- Transfers from UCLA Extension American Language Center Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP):
- Students must complete level AIEP 107 or higher with a grade of A- or higher
- No TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores required
- Former AIEP students must have taken level 106 within the past 2 years
- Unofficial copy in English of your university transcripts
Note: Admission to Pre-Master’s Preparation does not constitute admission to UCLA or to any UCLA degree program. However, degree credit earned through UCLA or UCLA Extension courses may apply toward a university degree. The decision to accept transfer credit depends on individual colleges and universities, not UCLA or UCLA Extension.